If you have ever configured your router, you would have seen a WPS button on the router along with ports.
- Do you know what WPS means?
- What Is the functionality of this button?
- How does this button work?
- Which operating systems provide support for this button?
Let’s have a detailed look at each of the above questions and see the whole summary of the WPS button on the router.
What is the WPS button on the Router?
It is a feature button provided by most of the wireless router. It is provided to make a secure wireless connection from a computer or from other devices. WPS stands for “WI-FI PROTECTED SETUP”. It is simply a wireless standard of network security making router and other devices connection easy.
WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) could be considered as a customary for secure and easy setup of a wireless network. Historically, users would ought to manually produce a wireless network name (SSID), so manually enter the protection key on each access point and prevent unwanted access to wireless networks. This whole method needs the users to know the background of the WiFi devices and also the ability to form the required configuration changes. With WPS, it’ll automatically configure a wireless network with a network name (SSID)and powerful WPA encoding and authentication. WPS is meant to support numerous WiFi certified 802.11 merchandise starting from access points, wireless adapters, WiFi phones, and different client devices.
WPS WORKING CONDITION:
- It works only with wireless networks following WPA personal and WPA 2 security protocols
- It doesn’t work with WEP security protocols (Which can be cracked and damaged by hackers easily)
Functioning of WPS?
In a commonplace setup, you cannot connect a wireless device to a wireless network unless you recognize the network name (also referred to as SSID) and network password (also referred to as WPA-PSK key). Let’s assume that you just wish to attach a device, like your smartphone, to your wireless network. On your device, you must initially decide the network that you just want to attach to and so enter its security key (password). while not acting each step, you can not hook up with the wireless network.
How to setup WPS connection with the smartphone:
You need to follow these steps to setup WPS on your mobile.
Step 1: you should push the WPS button on the router which lies behind of router alongside Ethernet ports as shown in the figure below. This will enable WPS functionality on your network.
Step 2: Enable Wifi of your smartphone
Step 3: Try to connect to the network. It will demand you for a password. But you wanna connect without a password. So, you have to follow step 4.
STEP 4: simply go to the wifi setting and open the menu bar (or click on three dots above) and push the “Connect WPS” button and enter 8 digit pin on the router and boom, you have connected to wifi without a password. Your router has added your device to the network.
How to connect WPS to other electronics devices:
There are devices available like range extenders or wireless printers that have their own WPS button. You can connect to both of these devices by pushing the WPS button on each of the devices. These devices will automatically communicate the network key and remember for future use. These devices will be able to communicate without the WPS button or network key in the future.
Advantage of WPS BUTTON ON ROUTER;
- By enabling the WPS button on the router, your device will automatically configure the network name and security key. You don’t need any security key to connect to the network
- No one will be able to configure your security key as it is randomly generated
- It has integrated support in window 7 to up word, window vista, and android.
Disadvantages of WPS Button on Router:
- It does not configure the “Ad Hoc” mode in which wireless devices communicate directly without any access point.
- It only connects to only WPS certified networks. If your device is not WPS certified, you cannot take its advantage.
- It is very difficult to add a non-WPS client device
What other devices support WPS?
There are many other devices other than a smartphone that supports WPS networking such as
- Laptop with OS window 2007 and afterward have support for WPS connection.
- Laptop with OS window vista have to support for WPS connection
- Android has support for WPS connection since 2011
- Many other electronic devices such as range extenders and wireless printers have the ability to WPS connection
- 2 in 1 device of every type have support for WPS connection
As you’ll see from this text, WPS could be a rather more troubled wireless network security standard. Whereas it will build your life easier, it’s conjointly at risk of attacks, and it’s going to be difficult to use with some devices. Before you close up this text, allow us to recognize if you’ve got used WPS to attach your devices to the wireless network. However well if it did work for you? Did you select to show it off as a result of its security vulnerabilities?