Cloud services have become a hot topic for small businesses and enterprises. If you are thinking of shifting your business on the cloud, you should better known various infrastructures of cloud so that you can choose which service will better suit your business. Therefore, it is better to understand the advantages and disadvantages of some cloud services.
According to Statista:
“This statistic shows the cloud application market size worldwide from 2013 to 2023. In 2018, the global cloud application market had a value of 108.84 billion U.S. dollars.”
There are many models of cloud services but there are three models which usually enterprises mostly use are:
- Infrastructure as a service (IaaS)
- Software as a service (SaaS)
- Platform as a service (PaaS)
Each of these cloud services has its own pros and cons. Each has importance in a different sense, so, it is necessary to understand variances to choose the best service for your enterprise.
|APPLICATION||You manage||You manage||Service Manage|
|DATA||You manage||You manage||Service Manage|
|MINDWARE||You manage||Service Manage||Service Manage|
|OS||You manage||Service Manage||Service Manage|
|SERVERS||Service Manage||Service Manage||Service Manage|
|STORAGE||Service Manage||Service Manage||Service Manage|
|NETWORKING||Service Manage||Service Manage||Service Manage|
INFRASTRUCTURE AS A SERVICE (IaaS):
Cloud infrastructure services referred to as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), are extremely scalable, flexible, and automated computing resources. IaaS is totally self-service for accessing and watching things like storage, networking, and alternative infrastructure-related services, and it permits businesses to get resources on-demand and as-needed rather than having to shop for hardware outright.
According to Statista: “The statistic shows a forecast for the public cloud infrastructure services (infrastructure as a service or IaaS) market from 2015 to 2022. In 2020, the infrastructure as a service market was expected to be worth 50.4 billion U.S. dollars.”
Companies using IaaS:
Advantages Of IaaS:
- A most flexible model of cloud computing
- Complete control of infrastructure
- No hardware purchase required
- Easily Scalable
- Multiple users can operate on the same hardware
Limitations Of IaaS:
- Security is a big threat as data can be exposed due to system vulnerabilities
- Additional IT staff is required to handle infrastructure
When to Use IaaS:
When you are going to start a small company or startup or don’t have enough budget for hardware, then you should better opt for IaaS. Further, IaaS offers much flexibility and scalability, so bigger companies that require complete control over infrastructure Should better opt IaaS as its hardware and software can be easily updated.
SOFTWARE AS A SERVICE (SaaS):
SaaS is a model within which software package is employed and purchased by an internet subscription instead of obtaining the license, putting in and victimization it as a desktop software package. SaaS is hosted centrally. It’s additionally known as “on-demand-software” and “software and services”. In this service, a third party supplier hosts the applying and creates this application on the market to signed users over the web. This model offers fast access to web apps. The service provider provides complete Maintenance to the user.
Statista shows the total growth os SaaS: “The statistic shows the size of the public cloud application services (SaaS) market worldwide from 2015 to 2022. In 2020, the software as a service market was estimated to be worth 104.7 billion U.S. dollars.”
Companies Using SaaS:
Following companies are using SaaS services
Advantages of SaaS:
SaaS provides a lot of advantages to both the enterprise and employees. Some of these are listed below:
- There is no need for IT staff for handling as it is based on web delivery model
- The service provider manages things like data, malware, storage, and servers.
- No time required for updating and installing software. The vendor handles itself.
- It is hosted remotely and can be accessed by internet
Disadvantages of SaaS:
- It can be operated only through the internet. Without an internet connection, it is of no use
- Your sensitive business data is handled by a third party which is the biggest threat.
- There is a lack of control as it is managed by third-party software.
- There is always a tradeoff in security, performance, and cost.
- You can face difficulty in case of server downtime or maintenance.
Where to use SaaS;
You should Start SaaS services in following conditions:
- In application, that requires access on both mobile and web
- Application in which downtime doesn’t matter i-e tax app
- For short term projects
- The companies that don’t pay attention to server issues
PROGRAM AS A SERVICE (PaaS):
PaaS is a cloud computing model that provides a cloud base wherever you perform a test and run your applications. It simplifies the method of software package development. Essentially it’s a model that provides hardware and software package tools that are required for application development methods on the net to the users. A Platform as a Service supplier hosts hardware and software packages on its own infrastructure.
The Statista states that: “The statistic shows the size of the global market for public cloud application infrastructure services (platform as a service or PaaS) from 2015 to 2022. In 2020, the platform as a service market was estimated to be worth 43.5 billion U.S. dollars.”
Companies Using PaaS:
Advantages of PaaS:
- It is highly scalable and flexible
- Easily customizable by the developers
- Very simple, cost-efficient and easy to use
- Automate the business
- It has integrated databases and web services
Disadvantages of PaaS:
- However, you can manage app yourself but data is still managed by third party software which is the biggest threat to the security of data
- Data is available online so there is a great chance of cyber attacks
- There are several runtime issues associated with PaaS services
- The operational burden on the user is less but it also reduces the operational capability
Where to use PaaS:
We can use SaaS in the following scenarios:
- We can use this where many developers have to work on the same project
- In applications where speed is important
- In an application which needs to customize time by time